Expert Dry Eye Treatment Near You in Norfolk
At Southern Eyecare Associates, we provide eye exams and personalized eye care experiences tailored to you and your family. Our commitment goes beyond routine check-ups — we build lasting relationships with our patients.
Get Lasting Relief for Dry Eyes
Dry Eye Syndrome (DES) is a condition that extends beyond simple eye discomfort. It occurs when your eyes struggle to maintain a healthy tear film, leading to various symptoms and potential complications. If you constantly have watery eyes, a persistent gritty or burning sensation around your eyelids, or even excessive tearing, you might have DES.
The Many Causes of Dry Eyes
Dry eyes can result from various factors, including:
- Blocked oil glands in the eyelids (Meibomian Gland Dysfunction)
- Aging, especially in individuals over 50
- Gender-related hormonal changes
- Environmental factors like dry wind, arid climates, and indoor heating
- Medications such as antidepressants, decongestants, and blood pressure drugs
- Autoimmune disorders like Sjogren's disease and arthritis.
Exploring The Connection Between MGD and Dry Eye
Itching, burning, stinging, redness, or a constant sensation of something foreign in your eye may be indicators of Meibomian Gland Dysfunction (MGD). This condition is a primary contributor to Dry Eye Syndrome. Patients in Norfolk grappling with MGD can discover relief at The Dry Eye Center of Southern Eyecare Associates, where Dr. John Dragon specializes in long-term solutions
Recognizing Dry Eye Symptoms
Are any of these symptoms familiar?
- Grittiness, itchiness, or stinging sensations in your eyes.
- Excessive tearing and discharge.
- Tired or persistently dry eyes.
- Increased sensitivity to light.
- Regular reliance on eye drops.
- Discomfort that intensifies as the day progresses.
If you're experiencing these symptoms, you could have dry eye syndrome. Find out by taking our dry eye quiz.
Effective, Tailored Dry Eye Treatment
Our approach to dry eye treatment is all about customization, targeting the root cause of your condition. Schedule a consultation with one of our experienced eye doctors to receive a personalized treatment plan that ensures your eyes remain healthy and comfortable.